It’s that part of the marketing funnel between ‘awareness’ and ‘conversion’ where a consumer considers or evaluates your brand against others.
It is referred to as ‘messy’ since there are so many permutations of the journey it’s hard to define how a consumer will engage at this stage.
So what are some of the best messaging and positioning techniques to get your brand ahead of the rest?
Google has conducted millions of A/B tests to determine 6 key techniques to incorporate into your message (link in comments):
1. Category heuristics: have short descriptions of key aspects of your product
2. Power of now: the longer you have to wait for the product the weaker the decision becomes
3. Social proof: recommendations and reviews from other are powerful persuaders
4. Scarcity bias: as stock decreases, desirability increases
5. Authority bias: expert opinions make a big difference
6. Power of free: a gift or a trial can be a good motivator
What other techniques do you use?